Social Responsibility and Sustainability
In endeavoring to contribute to social and economic development DKCO Attorneys at law is running its business in a professional and profitable way, where lawfulness and business ethics are permeating the daily work.
As an councellor and law firm and thereby a significant actor on the business market, DKCO has a social responsibility but also an opportunity to influence. We have the possibility to affect not only the way we act ourselves, but even how our clients and in the long term the whole society, acts.
Below DKCO: s CSR-policy follows, which is maintained and evaluated regularly.
Long-term creation of value through ethics and compliance of the laws
DKCO operates in an ethical and professional way both internally and externally. Long-term profitability and increased value may only be achieved in co-operation with the surroundings and the society.
This is fulfilled by:
- Upholding local and national laws and regulations, but also international conventions, for example the UN Declaration of Human Rights
- Applying proper business ethics and acting with great responsibility and with a high level of integrity
- Observing important matters such as respect for the individual, the environment, health, equality and social commitment
- Encouraging clients, stakeholders, partners and suppliers to meet relevant standards for social responsibility and environment in their respectively businesses
DKCO: s social responsibility as an employer
As an employer DKCO makes sure that the employees have a healthy working environment in respect of both physical and psychological aspects. DKCO guarantees its employees:
- A safe and secure working environment
- Insight in the business, involvement and personal responsibility
- Equal opportunities regarding tasks and assignments and the possibility to make a career
- Zero tolerance against discrimination
Environment and sustainability
DKCO strives for acting in a way that is sustainable in the long term from an environmental point of view. DKCO has far developed and digitalized offices where paper documents are minimized. Video conference and other ways of electronical communication is mainly used internally as well as externally. DKCO acts by the following principles:
- Recycling office material
- Minimizing the usage of resources, for example by lowering the consumption of electricity and the use of papers
- Considering the environmental influence in transporting and traveling
- Environmental aspects shall always be taken into consideration when estimating profitability and risks in the business
Sponsorship, scholarship and other supportive activities
By sponsoring and donating DKCO supports for instance children’s activities, sports and culture and also those in a particularly vulnerable position in the society. Amongst others, DKCO supports or offers the following activities:
Scholarship and traineeship
Since 2004, DKCO awards an annual scholarship of 1500 euro to stimulate future lawyers. Applications can be made 1.1 – 31.1.
DKCO also offers extensive and continuous trainee opportunities.
In collaboration with the University of Helsinki DKCO arranges the course “the Enterprise Case Club”, in which a restricted amount of students are setting up their own fictitious businesses. The students then deal with different legal challenges that the business may face. The purpose with the collaboration is to concretize business law and to encourage future lawyers to benefit from knowledge in an entrepreneurial perspective. The Enterprise Case Club is led by two DKCO lawyers, who give the participants feedback on their work.
DKCO sponsors the sports association IK Falken and their athletes in Pedersöre. The association has a wide range of activities for children and youth and has through the years raised many successful sportsmen and -women with both national and international success.
The Business Day of Åland
Since 2009, DKCO is one of the main sponsors of the annual Business Day of Åland, which is arranged by Ålands Näringsliv. The Business Day offers world-class lectures and performances and provides the participants great networking opportunities with both the Finnish and Swedish business life as well as the business community of Åland.
The Tall Ship Pommern
DKCO is a sponsor of the Åland Maritime Museum and particularly the visitor experience ”Pommern – 100 days under sail”.
Friends of Kobba Klintar
Kobba Klintar – a maritime island in the archipelago of Mariehamn, often called the “Ålander statue of liberty”. DKCO is a member of the association ”Friends of Kobba Klintar” which maintains and preserves the unique maritime and cultural environment of Kobba Klintar.